# Heard back from Mayfield!

**URL:** <https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018>\
**Category:** General\
**Created:** [August 21, 2012, 8:33pm UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018 "2012-08-21T20:33:15Z")\
**Posts on this page:** 8\
**Page:** 1

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Anglyn](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex027/user_avatar/forum.chiarisupport.org/anglyn/32/676_2.png) [@Anglyn](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/Anglyn)\
**Post date:** [August 21, 2012, 8:33pm UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018/1 "2012-08-21T20:33:15Z")

</div>

I have been waiting a few weeks for some news from the Mayfield Chiari Center. Dr. Ringer said my CINE showed abnormal flow but since the CSF wasn't totally blocked he wanted to consult with the other doctors to see what they recommended. I just heard back and they recommend surgery...but they do not take my insurance. While a few hundred bucks out of pocket for a consult isn't so bad I don't think I can swing brain surgery! :(

I'm not sure what my next step will be. His assistant said she would discuss the issue with their financial dept. and see what they recommend but I think I'm pretty well stuck. My insurance is for state employees and has a very limited network for out of state.

I don't want just anyone to cut my head open. I really felt comfortable with Dr. Ringer. I had a consult at UVA prior and was not comfortable at all.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![dkays](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex027/user_avatar/forum.chiarisupport.org/dkays/32/166_2.png) [@dkays](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/dkays)\
**Post date:** [August 21, 2012, 9:05pm UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018/2 "2012-08-21T21:05:00Z")

</div>

That's a hard one. Now that the Mayfield doctors recommend surgery, does it make you feel any more comfortable with UVA? Did UVA recommend surgery?

Diana

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Anglyn](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex027/user_avatar/forum.chiarisupport.org/anglyn/32/676_2.png) [@Anglyn](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/Anglyn)\
**Post date:** [August 21, 2012, 9:26pm UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018/3 "2012-08-21T21:26:35Z")

</div>

The doctor at UVA said that Chiari only causes headaches and none of my other symptoms. He said if I wanted the surgery to call and let him know. I asked if he had a recommendation and he said it was 100% up to me and to make my decision based only on the severity of my headaches. My headaches are the least of my issues. He didn't have a good bedside manner. I think he spent all of 5 minutes in the room which was upsetting because I waited two months for the appointment and drove 3 1/2 hours to see him.

Dr. Ringer on the other hand went over all my symptoms, explained why chiari caused that symptom, explained all aspects of the surgery, and said he wanted to get the other NS opinions before he made a recommendation because it was so invasive he wanted to be 100% that the benefits would outweigh the risks. Overall he just made me really comfortable and seemingly took everything I said seriously.

I just can't imagine letting someone who doesn't believe my symptoms cut my head open! :(

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![dkays](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex027/user_avatar/forum.chiarisupport.org/dkays/32/166_2.png) [@dkays](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/dkays)\
**Post date:** [August 21, 2012, 9:34pm UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018/4 "2012-08-21T21:34:44Z")

</div>

Understand and agree with you on not letting just any NS cut your head open.

So your insurance would cover surgery but Dr Ringer doesn't take your insurance or he isn't on your provider list? Could you have some type of appeal process with your insurance to get them to pay? Fingers crossed that the financial dept will have a viable solution.

Diana  
Anglyn said:

> The doctor at UVA said that Chiari only causes headaches and none of my other symptoms. He said if I wanted the surgery to call and let him know. I asked if he had a recommendation and he said it was 100% up to me and to make my decision based only on the severity of my headaches. My headaches are the least of my issues. He didn't have a good bedside manner. I think he spent all of 5 minutes in the room which was upsetting because I waited two months for the appointment and drove 3 1/2 hours to see him.
> 
> Dr. Ringer on the other hand went over all my symptoms, explained why chiari caused that symptom, explained all aspects of the surgery, and said he wanted to get the other NS opinions before he made a recommendation because it was so invasive he wanted to be 100% that the benefits would outweigh the risks. Overall he just made me really comfortable and seemingly took everything I said seriously.
> 
> I just can't imagine letting someone who doesn't believe my symptoms cut my head open! :(

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Anglyn](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex027/user_avatar/forum.chiarisupport.org/anglyn/32/676_2.png) [@Anglyn](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/Anglyn)\
**Post date:** [August 22, 2012, 1:29am UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018/5 "2012-08-22T01:29:05Z")

</div>

My insurance wouldn't pay anything at all for my consult with Mayfield. I'm not even 100% sure if they will cover surgery at all, but I'd hope they would since there is no other treatment.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Anglyn](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex027/user_avatar/forum.chiarisupport.org/anglyn/32/676_2.png) [@Anglyn](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/Anglyn)\
**Post date:** [August 23, 2012, 3:43pm UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018/6 "2012-08-23T15:43:52Z")

</div>

If I don't hear back from Mayfield's financial dept by Monday I guess I need to call my insurance carrier. I doubt they will be helpful. I've been told by several billing offices that they are notoriously hard to work with.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Anglyn](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex027/user_avatar/forum.chiarisupport.org/anglyn/32/676_2.png) [@Anglyn](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/Anglyn)\
**Post date:** [August 23, 2012, 7:36pm UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018/7 "2012-08-23T19:36:08Z")

</div>

I talked to the financial dept today and they said that even though they don't take my insurance since it's a PPO and not an HMO that it should pay them the out of network rate and that they usually work out a discount arrangement for the remainder!

My follow-up isn't until Sept. 20th so I have another month before I get the full recommendation!

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![TracyZ](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex027/user_avatar/forum.chiarisupport.org/tracyz/32/609_2.png) [@TracyZ](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/TracyZ)\
**Post date:** [August 23, 2012, 11:32pm UTC](https://forum.chiarisupport.org/t/heard-back-from-mayfield/2018/8 "2012-08-23T23:32:49Z")

</div>

I also had insurance that wasn't supposed to pay out of state & they approved all my surgeries and paid the total charges except for one $400 co pay. They can always try to get a Pre Certification, even though they are out of network. I have some great contacts at UVa or VCU. If you are interested. You can find Chiari Specialists in Teaching Medical Ctrs. I went to Pittsburgh. They were Incredible & are wonderful to me.
